WEEK 8: 26 - 30 SEPTEMBER
THE City of Joburg will break new ground in the use of technology and explore innovative ways to improve service delivery through smart systems, from 26 to 30 September, in its quest to become a "smart city".
A smart city is an environmentally friendly city created from a combination of concepts and technologies. These are the enhancement of energy efficiency, and water and waste management, coupled with the conservation of resources.
The provision of affordable technology to citizens will be highlighted under topics such as traffic management and wi-fi technology advancement, among other initiatives.
The objective of these conversations is to deepen community participation in the discussion around what technologies are envisioned that will make the lives of residents easier come 2040.
A series of events will culminate in a concerted campaign to inform business and citizens about broadband technology and smart solutions and how it can change business processes and city services.
These events are:
- A technology showcase, where private industry can show their products and services;
- A ward level consultative interactive knowledge sharing session, where Joburg citizens can share their opinions;
- A crime management roundtable workshop;
- A smart health solution
- Bridging the technology divide
- An inter-departmental workshop for the Smart Cities Framework; and
- A technology showcase to close the Smart City's programme for the week.