aresebetseng banner

 IDP Banner


Tariffbanner 2017



itl click thru




emergency blue

011 375 5911; 10177

general blue

PAIA, 2000 (Act 2 of 2000) 

home > Quick links
other city news
FAQ for Credit Control Print E-mail

All you need to know about the City’s credit control and debt collection measures on all customer accounts.

Question:  Why does the City Implement Credit Control?
Answer: If the balance on your latest account shows an overdue amount, you have already been scheduled for a cut-off because your account is 30 days overdue. You will receive a final demand notice before getting your latest account. To avoid being cut off, you must pay your account within 14 days of this final demand being posted to you. Make sure you check all the details on the disconnection notice to ensure that it relates to your property.

If you do not respond to the disconnection notice within the days stipulated in the letter of demand, your municipal water or electricity service will be cut off. In this instance you will have to settle the full outstanding amount and pay a reconnection fee before services will be reinstated.
This can be done at one of the following Customer Service Centres:

Region A

300 15th Road, Randjiespark, Midrand
Rabie Ridge
Cnr Koraan & Kraai Ave, Ext 4 & 5 Rabie Ridge
Ivory People Centre 1
ERF 4326, Makaya Drive, Ivory Park
Ivory People Centre 3
1605 Bouganville Street, Ebony Park
Diepsloot 2
Stand number 562, Diepsloot

Region B

Cnr Bram Fischer Drive & Jan Smuts Ave, Randburg
Claremont Rent Office
100 Clement Street, Claremont
Coronationville Rent Office
Caledon Street, Coronationville
Riverlea Rent Office
Corner Lindley & Geneve Street, Riverlea
Vrededorp - Jan Hofmeyer Rent Office
3 Sonerblon Street, Jan Hofmeyer

Region C

100 Christiaan De Wet Road, Florida Park
Roodepoort City Hall
Corner Dieperink & Berlandina Streets,
Plot 16, Vlakfontein
Stand 34755, Next to Bophelong Clinic,

Region D

2332 Luthuli Street, Dobsonville
Slovoville-Recreation Hall
Leratong Road, Slovoville
Green Village
Stand 2711, Nice Street, Doornkop
1 Koma Road, Jabulani
3700 Masizakhe Street, Zola
1235 Mlangei Street, Jabavu/Moloka
448 Mabalane Street, Senaoane Township
989 Tshabuse Street, Chaiwelo
Protea North
299/49 Kunene Street, Protea North
Orlando East
1425 Sosasonke Street, Orlando East
Diepkloof Admin Office
1729 Talani Street, Zone 1 Diepkloof
Meadowlands 47
Stand 293, Portion 7, Hekpoort Circle,
Meadowlands Zone 2
666 Roodepoort Road, Zondi Township
Orlando West
8299 Pela Street, Zola
2943/50 Modjadji Street, Pimville Zone 2

Region E

24 fredman drive, Sandton
Alexandra Community Centre
Corner 8th Avenue & Roosevelt Street, Alexandra
Modderfontein Rent Office
Thornhill Street, Thornhill Estates
Stand 2328, Commercial Ext. 34, Mayibuye
De Wetshof
111 Protea Street, Unit 102, De Wetshof

Region F

Thuso House
61 Jorissen Street, Braamfontein
Metro Centre
158 Loveday Street, Braamfontein
Eureka Customer Service Centre
Corner Glenroy & Pioneer Road, Pioneer Park
South Hills Housing
Corner Lindley & Geneva Streets, South Hills

Region G

Corner Rose Avenue & Eland Street, Lenasia
Lenasia South/East
Corobrick Complex, K43, Lenasia South/East
Lenasia South/East Community Centre
Wembley Road, Lenasia
Orange Farm
Rent Office 9125, Extension 5, Orange Farm
Poortjie Rent Office
Poortjie informal settlement, Plot 431, Poortjie
Ennerdale Ext. 1
Corner Olympic & Ullysis Roads, Ennerdale
Ennerdale Ext. 9
Corner Katz & Smith Walk Roads, Ennerdale
Eldorado Park
4046 Link Crescent Avenue, Ext 5 Eldorado Park

Question: Why should I pay for services?
Answer: Municipalities are expected to be self-funding, raising much of their revenue from three key sources: electricity and water supplies, and the property taxes known as rates. The money raised by the City will pay not only for basic services such as roads, refuse collection, traffic control, sewers, lights and water, but also for an expanded community police force, a large HIV/AIDS programme, housing for the poor, and a refurbished bus service.

Question: How do I settle an overdue account after the service has been cut off?
Answer: You will need to go in person to the accounts department at the Customer Service Centre near your area, where you will need to pay both the overdue accounts and a reconnection fee.

Question: What is the reconnection fee?
Joburg Water

Final Demand Notice: R83, 14 including VAT.
For the removal of an unused meter and consequent disconnection of supply: R851.98 including VAT.

For the reconnection of supply which has been cut off:

Cut off, Level 1 - Disconnection and reconnection at the water meter: R1, 329.22 including VAT.
Cut off, Level 2 - Disconnection and reconnection at the water mains supply: R2, 678.66 including VAT.
Disconnection/recollection of supply through a prepayment meter for an incidence of tempering of the service installation and/or meter: R1, 329.22 including VAT.
Disconnection/reconnection of supply through a prepayment meter for an incidence of vandalism of the service installation and/or meter: R2, 678.66 including VAT.

City Power

For each disconnection and each reconnection of supply:
Disconnection notification only: R145, 28 including VAT.
Request by customer: R685, 14 including VAT.
Due to charges in arrear: R685, 14 including VAT.
Illegally reconnected conventional supply: R2 635, 29 including VAT.
Meter tampering/prepaid meter bypass/illegal connection: R2 635, 29 including VAT.

Question: What if I cannot pay the full amount?
Answer: If you can’t pay the amount in full you must make an arrangement to pay the amount off over time. You must then come in person to a Customer Service Centre nearest to you or Braamfontein, Roodepoort, Randburg, Sandton or Midrand, to make an arrangement. A deposit of between 50%is required to make the arrangement.

Question: How long does it take to reconnect?
Answer: It takes up to 72 working hours or 3 working days.

Question: I have a tenant in my property that is supposed to pay for the water and electricity bill? Will you take credit control action against the tenant or against me as the owner?
Answer: Property owners are responsible for the full payment of all municipal services and rates accounts, even if the property is let to a tenant.
If you see your tenant has fallen into arrears with their municipal account and is making no effort to make arrangements to pay it off or settle the arrears, you can request the restriction or termination of services from the City of Johannesburg.

For peace of mind, property owners should ask for copies of their property bills from the City in order to monitor them. Producing two statements of one account will, however, cost a small fee. Send an email request with all the details to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or visit your nearest Customer Service Centre.

Question: I do not receive a statement from the City. How can the city expect me to pay if I am not billed?
Answer: The onus is on the property owner to ensure that he receives a statement from the city. The property owner should ensure that the correct details are given to the city by calling 011 375 5555 or emailing This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it / This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Question: How do I request to cut the services if there are illegal occupants in my property?
Answer: The owner will be held liable for the reconnection cost and the settlement of arrear amounts on the account. Please forward a letter that indicates the address, your account number and the date you would like service to be cut and fax to 358-3110 or e-mail to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Question: I am a sectional title property owner. Even though I pay individual rates and taxes, I also pay levies to the body corporate for my water and electricity. Why have you cut my electricity/water?
Answer: The onus is on the body corporate (represented by your Managing Agent) to ensure the full amount is settled on the statement. We have cut/restricted service to your complex because they have not paid your services account. Please consult your body corporate (Chairman of the Trustees) regarding your payment to them. Once proof of payment is made available to us, we will reconnect your services.

Question: Why are there legal fees charged on my account?
Answer: Your account was handed over for legal action for collection of debt

Question: How do you calculate the charge for my monthly water consumption?
Answer: For businesses there is a flat rate applied to the number of kiloliters consumed. For residential properties, a sliding scale is applied to the volume of water consumed to determine the amount due.

Question: Should I settle my current account even if I receive my statement late?
Answer: Yes. Where a statement has not arrived timeously the customer is required to pay for the water consumed during the preceding month. The amount due can be obtained by calling Joburg Connect Call Centre at 011 375 5555 - 24 hours.

Question: I have been charged a penalty fee for late payment while waiting for my water account statement to arrive. Am I liable to pay this penalty fee? How can I avoid paying a penalty fee for late payment?
Answer: Where a customer can prove that she/he paid their account on or before the due date, any penalty fee levied on the account can be reversed.

Question: For a long time my water account statement has been inaccurate. What is City doing to improve efficiencies?
Answer: The City of Johannesburg is constantly working to upgrade systems and improve procedures to deal with inaccuracies in its billing.

Question: Why am I being charged estimated readings instead of actual readings taken from my meter?
Answer: The City endeavors to obtain and acquire meter readings every month. For various reasons, this may not be possible, e.g. where the meter is obstructed or is inside the yard. However, a customer can call in for their reading to the City’s Call Centre - 011 375 5555. In addition, a meter auditor will be sent by the City to obtain a special reading where the problem warrants such action.   

Issued by:
Kgamanyane  Maphologela
Revenue & Customer Relations Management Department
Phone: 011 628-4728
Fax: 011 358 3639
Cell: 083 589 3746
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it


Bookmark and Share
Last Updated on 15 June 2012