Calling on all shoppers, the moment you all have been waiting for has arrived.
For the first time ever, Johannesburg will present to you a dream shopping experience, an opportunity for you to shop until you drop before the festive season rush.
The inaugural Johannesburg Shopping Festival (JSF), modelled around the highly successful and popular Dubai Shopping Festival, is an initiative of the City of Johannesburg and Johannesburg Tourism, which have partnered with Gauteng Tourism, Visa and MojaNation Exchange to bring you this ultimate shopping experience.
Described as a fashionista’s paradise, the four-day festival runs from October 30 to November 2. It will be packed with unbelievable price deals, amazing bargains, sales, gifts, competitions and giveaways, including trips to tourist attractions, prepaid Visa cards, jewellery and much more.
The festival will be held at two of Johannesburg’s shopping meccas – Sandton City and the Oriental Plaza and surrounds.
“Joburg receives both domestic and regional visitors whose sole reason to travel to the City is to look for inspiration, check on the latest fashion and lifestyle trends, and shop for both personal and retail resale usage. The JSF provides an ideal platform for just that and showcases Joburg’s shopping as a big city urban lifestyle offering,” said Member of the Mayoral Committee for Economic Development, Ruby Mathang.
Just like its Dubai counterpart, the JSF seeks to promote trade and tourism not only in Johannesburg but also in the rest of South Africa and the region.With retailers such as Sandton City’s Nine West, Topshop, Frasers and Accessorize and countless Oriental Plaza retailers taking part, the options on must-have items are limitless.
Shoppers can also look out for the Visa Superman, who will be popping by to pay the bills of lucky shoppers.
The Dubai Shopping Festival, from which the JSF takes a leaf, was initiated in 1996 to promote trade. It has since become a tourist haven.
DSF is a month-long event that offers shoppers big discounts on almost everything – from cars, electronics and computers to fashion, jewellery and perfumes, entertainment, and daily car and gold raffles.
It attracts between four and five million visitors over the period. As a partner, Visa uses the festival as a platform to educate shoppers about the convenience and security of electronic payments while simultaneously rewarding them with value-added prizes.
Visa also sponsors the DSF and Thailand Grand Sale.
For more information on the JSF, log on to www.joburgshoppingfestival.co.za on Facebook at www.facebook.com/JoburgShoppingFestival or via Twitter - @JSF_SA.
• From a partnership perspective, the objective of the Joburg Shopping Festival is to run a successful pilot project in 2014 to build a model for an annual event which will ultimately:
• Attract more visitors from around Africa to Gauteng. (Fact: Shopping is a key draw card for 30% of African visitors.)
• Increase the retail spend at both the high end (fly-ins from key sub Saharan markets) and value/bulk spenders (SADC land arrivals)
• Encourage them to stay longer and enjoy what our beautiful city has to offer in terms of tourism and leisure experiences.
• Contribute to job creation and skills development in the retail and tourism sectors.
• Shopping festivals take place all over the world and are known for drawing millions of shoppers and tourists every year. The Joburg Shopping Festival is modelled on perhaps the most successful of these festivals, the Dubai Shopping Festival, an initiative of the Dubai government to promote trade in the region and which been so successfully promoted as a tourist attraction.
• The DSF is a month long event that sees shoppers enjoying shopping discounts on everything from cars, electronics and computers to fashion, jewellery and perfumes, entertainment events, and daily car and gold raffles. The DSF attracts between four and five million visitors over the month.
• It took 18 years for the Dubai Shopping Festival to grow to its current size and success, but we hope to be able to learn from their experiences to create our own iconic event. We would like to use this first year to begin preparing our retailers for a long-term relationship with the Joburg Shopping Festival, in order to ensure broader economic success in the years to come.
• As a partner, Visa utilises the festival as a platform to educate shoppers about the convenience and security of electronic payments while simultaneously rewarding them with value-added prizes. Visa is also sponsor of the DSF and the Thailand Grand Sale.