Share this article

Zoo lake swimming pool re-opens after acid fumes incident

The swimming pool at Zoo Lake in Parktown where a number children were evacuated after inhaling acid fumes at the weekend has been reopened to the public.

Member of the Mayoral Committee for Community Development Cllr Nonhlanhla Sifumba said Johannesburg residents had no reason to fear using the pool at Zoo Lake.

“What happened was very unfortunate. We understand that a lot of people visit the pool at Zoo Lake during the holidays and, as the City of Johannesburg, we would like to ensure that the pool is safe for use at all times,” said Cllr Sifumba.

On Saturday December 10, about 20 children inhaled toxic fumes of acid and were taken to hospital after they started experiencing breathing problems. The children have since been discharged.

Cllr Sifumba explained the toxic fumes came from a chemical that had been used to unblock a drain near the lake. The poisonous emissions spread after strong winds blew in the children’s direction. She said the City sympathised with those affected and had arranged to send flowers to them.

“This did not happen because of the negligence of the officials working at the swimming pool; it is what you may call an act of nature because it is the wind that blew the fumes towards where people were.

“Unfortunately, they were inside the pool so it’s not negligence on the part of officials who work at the pool,” Cllr Sifumba said.​