Share this article

​​​Certificate of occupancy​

The City has to issue a Certificate of Occupancy for every building that is built, before it is occupied, as required by the National Building Regulations (NBR) and Building Standards Act. This is to show that all requirements have been met and safeguards the owner or tenant.

The Certificate of Occupancy stipulates the type of dwelling - single dwelling, cluster complex, townhouse or complex - and is important if you wish to apply for a residential rebate.

The responsibility for obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy lies with the property owner and should be obtained at the time of taking ownership of the property.

A Certificate of Occupancy is also necessary before water and electricity deposits can be accepted for newly built properties.