Share this article

​New c​onnections
koi-network.jpgIf you're building a new home, office block or factory, or moving into existing premises, you’ll need to know how to apply for electricity connections:

If you have bought or moved into an existing property, the account must be transferred to your name.
​To open a new account, you need to go to the Thuso House customer service centre, at 61 Jorrisen Street, Braamfontein, to sign a consumers agreement on s​ervices with the City and pay a deposit.

You will need your ID and a letter from your estate agent, landlord or conveyancer confirming you are the legal owner or tenant.

 If you have bought land and are erecting a new building, the physical cables or pipes must be connected to the municipal grid.

 If you need to install a new physical electricity connection – electrical cables and new meter boxes – you will need to contact City Power. Call Joburg Connect on 0860 562 874, option 2, to set this in motion, or visit City Power’s head office at 40 Heronmere Road, Reuven.

An official will need to visit the property before giving you a quote on a connection fee.

You should allow about 21 days from the date of payment for the installation work to be complete.​