Share this article

To run a business in Johannesburg​
​If you are a hawker selling food and meals, which you take from place to place or sell from a vehicle, you need to have a licence.
You will need to apply for a licence from the City's Trade Licence Department.
In addition, you will need to pay a once-off application fee.
Once the documentation is completed, the application will be forwarded to five departments to check that the City requirements are met:
  • ​​​Environmental health
  • Noise and air pollution control
  • Public safety
  • Urban planning
  • Building control
  • An inspection is carried out of the premises by the departments concerned
  • Only when all departments have retuned favorable reports and recommend approval the trade license will be issued
Applying for a licence: 
  • Complete an RP1 form, which can be downloaded or collected from one of the regional offices.
  • This form then needs to be returned with all the necessary supporting documentation: 
  • In case of a company, close corporation or partnership a copy of the company certificate and list of directors is required
  • Identity documents for all directors and partners, including that of the manager or person in charge
  • Copy of liquor licence
  • Copy of menu in the case of a food trader
  • Copy of SARS tax certificate
  • Copy of approved building layout plan
  • Zoning certificate
Business Licence Office​ and regulations
Note that a trade licence or application cannot be transferred with a change of ownership. A business licence can be withdrawn or suspended if there is a failure to comply with endorsements.

A once-off fee is payable at the when lodging your application. Please note, however, that cheques cannot be accepted by Licensing Officers, but can be paid at a council pay point on vote no. 035922517485339.

Environmental Health Building
Cnr Avon Street & Main Reef Road
Longdale (Opposite the Langlaagte SAPS)
Office hours:
7am – 10 am and 3pm – 3.30pm

If reports received from the departments indicate that other requirements need to be satisfied, the Trade Licence Department will send a notice to the applicant. The applicant must comply with the requirements and then arrange a re-inspection with the officer concerned. 
The licence will be issued only once all five departments have returned a recommendation for approval.