Share this article

​How t​​o run a business in Johannesburg
If you are a hawker selling food and meals, which you take from place to place or sell from a vehicle, you need to have a licence.
You will need to apply for a licence from the City's Trade Licence Department.

In addition, you will need ​to pay a once-off application fee.

Once the documentation is completed, the application will be forwarded to five departments to check that the following City requirements are met:

Environmental health
Noise and air pollution control
Public safety
Urban planning
Building control
An inspection is carried out of the premises by the departments concerned
Only when all departments have retuned favorable reports and recommend approval the trade license will be issued.

Applying for a licen​​ce:

Complete an RP1 form, which can be downloaded or collected from one of the regional offices.

This form then needs to be returned with all the necessary supporting documentation: 

In case of a company, close corporation or partnership a copy of the company certificate and list of directors is required

Identity documents for all directors and partners, including that of the manager or person in charge

Copy of liquor licence

Copy of menu in the case of a food trader

Copy of SARS tax certificate

Copy of approved building layout plan

Zoning certificate 

Business Licence Office and regulations:​

Note that a trade licence or application cannot be transferred with a change of ownership. A business licence can be withdrawn or suspended if there is a failure to comply with endorsements. 

A once-off fee is payable at the when lodging your application. Please note, however, that cheques cannot be accepted by Licensing Officers, but can be paid at a council pay point on vote no. 035922517485339. 

Environmental Health Building
Cnr Avon Street & Main Reef Road
Longdale (Opposite the Langlaagte SAPS)

Office hours:

7am – 10 am and 3pm – 3.30pm

If reports received from the departments indicate that other requirements need to be satisfied, the Trade Licence Department will send a notice to the applicant. The applicant must comply with the requirements and then arrange a re-inspection with the officer concerned. 
The licence will be issued only once all five departments have returned a recommendation for approval. ​