Share this article

​​New connections
07-09-17-Water-story_full_page.jpgIf  you’re building a new home, office block or factory, or moving into existing premises, you’ll need to know how to apply for water and sanitation connections.

There are two different types of new connections:​

If you have bought or moved into an existing property, the account must be transferred to your name.

To open a new account, you need to go to the Thuso House Customer Service Centre, 61 Jorrisen Street, Braamfontein, to sign a Consumers Agreement on Services with the City and pay a deposit.

You will need your ID and a letter from your estate agent, landlord or conveyancer confirming you are the legal owner or tenant.

If you have bought land and are erecting a new building, the physical pipes must be connected to the municipal grid.

If you need to install a new physical water and sanitation connection you will need to contact Joburg Water. Call Joburg Connect on 0860 562 874 to set this in motion, or visit Joburg Water’s head office at Argent House, 21 Loveday Street, Marshalltown, Johannesburg.

An official will need to visit the property before giving you a quote on a connection fee.

You should allow about 21 days from the date of payment for the installation work to be complete.​